Call: (918) 743-8539
3345 S Harvard Ave #102
Tulsa, OK 74135, USA

office@tulsamidtowndentistry.com
Call: (918) 743-8539
3345 S Harvard Ave #102
Tulsa, OK 74135, USA

office@tulsamidtowndentistry.com

 

Currently, in the United States, nearly 36 million people are edentulous, meaning toothless, with 90 percent of these people wearing dentures.

Dentures are one of the best answers for severe tooth decay. However, many people continue to be discouraged with this choice, because of all the myths that surround wearing dentures. Let’s explore some of the most common myths that continue to confuse those wondering about what it would be like to wear dentures:

  1. Of those who get dentures most regret it – nothing could be more misleading. Generally 90% of patients are satisfied with their dentures, with the remaining 10% experiencing problems that are not denture-related.
  2. Dentures make you look older – this may have been the case, years ago, when dentures were made with substandard materials and limited ways of providing the right fit. However, this is no longer true. Effective ways are now available to give you the best, most natural look, along with a great fit.  
  3. With dentures, because chewing is limited, you no longer can eat all the foods you enjoy – rarely are foods more difficult or impossible to chew. The most important fact is that, overall, the pros of dentures far outweigh the cons, when it comes to chewing, especially the fact that, with dentures, chewing food is more effective and pain-free.  
  4. Dentures are known to fall out – this may have been true for dentures of the past, and may still be true for low quality dentures, but with the high-quality dentures we provide, the fit is correct enough to secure your dentures in place.
  5. People who wear dentures have poor oral hygiene – this is also not true. Many of our clients have had great dental hygiene and poor enamel or health problems that contributed to extreme tooth decay. There are countless reasons why some people struggle with strong teeth.
  6. All dentures require an adhesive –  not all denture wearers use adhesive. Adhesives are available to help them adhere, however, with the right fit, dental adhesives are not always necessary.
  7. You will always know you have dentures – in the beginning, there may be a short period of adjustment, but, in no time, your dentures will become such a permanent part of your mouth that you will even forget your teeth are not permanent.
  8. Once you get dentures, you’ll no longer need to see the dentist – nothing could be farther from the truth. Healthy oral hygiene not only includes your teeth but your entire mouth, particularly your gums.

Call Midtown Dentistry today at (918) 743-8539, and let us show you how we can help you have the smile you’ve always wanted.