In Tulsa, everyone knows cosmetic dentistry creates incredible smiles from teeth that are, otherwise, unhealthy. A committed and effective oral hygiene program is the most effective way to help your natural teeth stay stronger longer in hopes of maintaining the smile you desire from the teeth you’ve been given.
The first step to proper brushing is to make sure you’re doing it twice a day. Then, the American Dental Association has outlined the following steps for maximum oral hygiene benefits:
- Brush your teeth for at least two minutes. To help keep track of time, use a two-minute timer or set your phone for two minutes or sing a two-minute song.
- Only use a fluoride toothpaste that contains the American Dental Association seal of approval.
- Place your toothbrush against your gum line at a 45-degree angle. Brush gently, back and forth, in small strokes
- Properly brush the part of your teeth that faces the inside of your mouth by brushing vertically, making several up and down strokes
- Proper brushing must include touching all surfaces of your teeth, including each inner, outer and chewing area
- Always use a soft-bristled toothbrush
- Apply only gentle pressure to help reduce the risk of gum injury
Other tips include:
- Brushing your tongue – this is vital to removing bacteria
- Replacing your toothbrush every three to four months to avoid bacteria buildup
- Purchasing a toothbrush with the correct size bristle head for your mouth
- Knowing that harder brushing does not equal better brushing. Plaque is soft and easily removed. Avoid gum damage by brushing, or massaging, gently
- If brushing your teeth after each meal is not possible, rinse your mouth with water to wash away any food particles that creates the bacteria that erodes enamel
- Rinse your toothbrush thoroughly after each use
- Store your toothbrush in an upright position
- Always air dry your toothbrush
- Make sure toothbrushes are not stored in the same container, as this can cause cross contamination
- Avoid storing toothbrushes in a closed container as the moisture can promote bacteria growth
Flossing your teeth is another vital part of your oral hygiene program. Following are tips that will guarantee your flossing is effective:
- Use 18 inches of floss
- Wind the floss around the middle finger of one hand and the middle finger of the other
- Grip the floss tightly between your thumbs and forefingers, then slide the floss between your teeth
- Slide the floss gently in a C-motion between each tooth
- Rinse your mouth thoroughly
Your teeth were created to last your entire lifetime, if treated properly. An effective, daily oral hygiene program is key to having the strongest teeth possible. In Tulsa, call Midtown Dentistry, today, at 918.743.8539, and let us help preserve your teeth in the best way possible for you.